Saturday, September 15, 2007

Settled in Guangzhou

Bob & Joanna arrived in Guangzhou at 11 AM on Saturday. They are staying at the Victory, and there are lots of adoptive families in the city at this time. Everyone there was trying to beat the deadline of October 1st, when EVERYTHING related to government affairs shuts down for the lunar holiday, I believe. Crystal is the new guide, and she took them to a late lunch upon arrival. Once again, our agency includes the food prices in the the package travel price, and all of that is at Chinese restaurants. I have to confess that while we love fried rice, egg drop soup, tomato soup, egg rolls, and wontons, that is about the extent of our really liking Chinese food. We are too Americanized in our tastes, and while I wish it was different, it's not. Bob is much better than I am at trying new things, and he is polite about all of it, but I get a very distinct impression that he can't wait to eat our regular old standbys. Joanna on the other hand is in her element, and I am fearful that she will struggle with my cooking initially. So... with all that said, when shrimp were ordered, Bob thought that sounded pretty good. He was a bit dismayed to have them put before him with the legs, antennae, and eyes still intact. He said he did cut off the legs - just couldn't get them down. Joanna enjoyed them au naturale!

They scouted the island to find the protestant church and plan to attend that on Sunday morning. It is important to us that she see other Chinese worshippers and realize that the God we worship is God to the Chinese people as well. This is a state sanctioned church, so from what I understand, the message has to be approved by the state before preaching it, but even still it should be interesting. We have been told there is a translator since so many Americans attend.

The two of them went to a park and watched the other kids play. Joanna seemed to enjoy that, but she did not feel comfortable getting out there and playing with them.

All-in-all, it was a transition day from one city to the next, and there was nothing too eventful, which is probably good! Their time is winding down now, and they will be arriving at LA-X on Wednesday night at around 7 PM.

2 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Linda our guide in Guangzhou was Crystal too...I wonder if it's the same one! I'm glad they are in Guangzhou now...everything seems brighter there! Maybe it's because it's the last leg of the trip!
I can't imagine eating shrimp like that...Joanna will get used to your cooking, and in the meantime I will pray she will find a few good American standbys to eat until her tastebuds adjust!
Blessings,
Laine

Mike and Barb said...

I saw several quick-fix dishes at the grocery store or super WalMart that claim to be asian - maybe those will be some staples that you can resort to. Otherwise, Nina has really enjoyed most "western" cooked veggies (corn, green beans, carrots, peas, mushrooms....) and meats, so hopefully she will find things she likes. Just throw some soy sauce on it, and it might be homey enough for her!
Barb