Back on the home front, we're getting excited! It's wonderful to think that in 50 hours (from the time of this writing), they will finally be home. As I write, Bob and Joanna are sleeping. They plan to get up a bit later than usual since they have such an exhausting day ahead. A late breakfast, and then they will check-out from the hotel. Their consulate appointment is at 2 PM, and from there they will head to the airport. Their flight does not leave until 9 PM, but when you add-in the time at the consultate and the 1-1/2 hour drive to the airport, it's not too bad of a wait.
Yesterday was the first day that as a whole went really well. All the paperwork went without a glitch at the consultate, and Crystal, the guide, returned at about noon. They headed into Guangzhou for lunch and a visit to the pearl warehouse, and Bob was able to get pearl bracelets for Joanna and our future daughter-in-law at a VERY good price. (I am hoping that Kenzie is pleased with our surprise!) Joanna was shocked to hear children speaking Cantonese for the first time. She told the guide that she had no idea that Chinese people spoke any other language than Mandarin. They later went to the playground on the island and stayed for almost two hours. This is the first time she really played on the equipment, and she discovered that she was actually enjoying herself. Bob said she acted very nice to the little kids that were playing but seemed hesitant around the ones her own age. That is encouraging since we have wondered how she would do with Ruthie and Abby. On the way back to the hotel, the two of them walked (balanced) on the cement curbs and rails, played tag, and took pictures. There was a lot of laughing, and Bob saw a very different side to Joanna. He said he could see a very nice little girl hidden inside there; she just needs some of the rough edges filed away!
Since I called him shortly after this, they were both in good moods. Joanna got on the phone for me to talk to her, and I began to wonder when Bob was ever going to take the phone back. (There is only so much you can think of to say in this situation - lol!) When he finally did get back on the phone, he said that she had been holding the phone very tightly and was just wanting to hear my voice. I'll say again that I am a little nervous about this image of me that she has built-up in her mind. I so hope I'm not a big disappointment.
I will speak to them one more time while they are in China (my tonight/their morning), and then I will wait to hear from them in LA on Wednesday night. Please keep these things in your prayers: 1) No problems with picking up the visa on time. 2) Safe travels. 3) Joanna's behavior on such a LONG plane ride.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I'm praying, Linda! It's so close now! I'm also adding no lost luggage to the prayer list, though home is a great place to have lost luggage, but still!
Blessings,
Laine
Oh, she is almost HOME!!
I'm just so happy for you!
Barb
Post a Comment