It sounded as if Sunday went well. Bob and Joanna went to church on the island, and Bob was thilled to see that the church was PACKED with Chinese believers. The 45 minute sermon was in Chinese, and he later learned that the Chinese-English service is held as a second service. Even still, he loved listening to the hymns, and he joined them in English when they sang "Holy, Holy, Holy." Afterwards some of the congregants thanked him for singing with them. It was a very uplifting and worthwhile experience. The service was long, but Joanna did pretty well to not wiggle too much.
They had one experience again where Joanna told Bob `no' to indicate that she was not going to go someplace. He told her that he would have to pick her up, and that is exactly what he wound up doing. She threw her head back and hit it on the ceiling. He told her how sorry he was, and she let him comfort her - just a little - and then walked nicely beside him. Later that day in the elevator, she actually reached out for him to pick her up. After she was in his arms, it was as if she realized what she had just done, and wiggled to get down. Even still, he saw a glimmer of something - maybe just a little crack in that tough little armour she is wearing.
When I called this morning (my time), they were planning on joining some other families at the pool. They had also been invited to go with this group on the Pearl River Cruise tomorrow night. Bob plans to see if his guide can get tickets. He said some of the moms feel sorry for him and have taken him and Joanna under their wings. He plans to have Trina (my internet friend) recheck Joanna's hair to make sure he did not miss any (lice) egg sacs. (Earlier this summer, one of the little girls from her orphanage did come back to the US with lice and managed to spread them to her new sisters.) I can only imagine dealing with THREE heads full of lice!
The last two times I have called, Joanna has REALLY talked to me. I, of course, have no idea what she was saying, but she has sounded very excited and even happy at times. Bob said she is talking to him more too since they arrived on the island. It will be much easier for me when I can be face-to-face with her and use gestures and expressions. Can't wait!
Nathan, the girls, and I have a full day at church today with the candidacy of a new worship leader, so this day will fly by, and then we can mark one more off our calendar. It's getting closer, and I'm more than ready!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I felt that being in China was all about just making it home... in a way. It sound like things are going reasonably well, and I'm looking forward to all of you being together!
Barb
I hope Bob can get a few names and contact information. It has been really useful to compare notes with other parents on coming home. So glad he is connecting with other families at last.
--We have been home five weeks now and YanMin started crying yesterday while I was teaching her English. A Chinese friend helped her work through homesickness. I have to keep remembering--adaption truly is a process, and takes time. But she was very happy today--starting dance class at school.
Post a Comment