Friday, April 24, 2009

~Nathanael James~




Nineteen years ago this morning, Nathan was born. I thought about him a lot last night and even got kind of teary. Surely it has not really been 19 years - I could have sworn it was just yesterday! Nathan was our third baby boy, and he stayed my baby until Little Ben came along 14 years later. Not that he ever thought of himself as a baby! In fact, he was ready to take on the world by the time he started walking. Being the youngest of three boys toughened him up in a hurry, and we used to say that the house walls oozed with testosterone. He kept me on my toes and had a very naughty habit of carving his name in wood. To this day, the inside door frame of his bedroom closet has "NAT" etched into it. (No questions as to where he got those pocket knives - with older brothers and a dad around, knives always seemed to be within too easy access!) (Secretly, I admit that I'm kind of glad to still have at least one carving.) I homeschooled Nathan in preschool through 2nd grade and was so thrilled to have taught a child how to read. Bob was serving as a church elder and was permitted to baptize him after he accepted Christ, and that was a proud moment for him. From the age of 4, Nathan wanted to be a marine, and that is exactly what he is doing right now - one of our nation's finest. He was also responsible for choosing Abby, our youngest daughter. When I wasn't sure I could care for two children with spina bifida, Nathan was determined that God had placed Abby on his heart, and he was relentless! I yielded, and what a blessing Abby has been.
So - thank you, Nathan, for everything you mean to your dad and me, and happy birthday! We love you and are proud of who you are.

6 comments:

Mike and Barb said...

Oh, my, he sounds like my youngest-I-won't-mention-any-names-testosterone-dripping boy!! And he turned out being such a fine young man, I guess I can have hope, too!!
Happy Birthday, Nathan!
Barb

The Ferrill's said...

Linda I know you are so proud of your handsome son! I am proud of him too and he's not even my own! Be sure to tell him from all of us how much we appreciate his service to our country and that we are praying for him!

Sarah said...

Happy, happy birthday!!

Sherri said...

He is so handsome! And I love that picture of him with his sisters...I know I've told you that before.

He's a man now....I know you miss that sweet boy but at the same time wouldn't trade the man he has become!

The Tucker Troops said...

Hi Linda--I see you celebrated a birthday too! I was teary reading what you wrote about Nathan. He is so handsome and I could relate to much of what you said. Test-
osterone...we laugh about that here too. The pocket knives. I believe Papa brougt one to one of the twins on Adam's birthday. We have plenty...loving his sisters...so sweet. I love that picture. Please thank him for his service for us!
I'm posting about our appointment on Friday--soon. We are overwhelmed--so much info. Lucey has a long journey but we feel confident in her team and blessed to be a apart of her life. God is good!

Thanks for posting on my blog, Linda. I appreciate your wisdom.

Beth

Unknown said...

And where is Nathan these days? Ian has a friend stationed in Japan and one in D.C. Has Nathan finished all of his training and made it to his homebase?

Thinking about you!