Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Was Born?

Adopted kids bring with them a whole set of questions unique to their own circumstances. Of course, one of the biggies centers around the "real" mom. You absolutely know these queries will come up, but no matter how prepared you think you are, there is still pain involved - pain for the child and pain for yourself. These are MY kiddos, and I would love to have carried them and given birth to each one of them. It is no trite thing to say they were truly born in my heart, but with that said, I do understand all their `whys.' Ruthie and Abby have not asked anything, but Joanna, who turns 10 on the 30th, has a million questions. She wonders if her real mom (Yes, I have told her that I am her real mom and that that lady was her birth mom, but kids are not PC, so we stick to the real mom terminology.) has skin the color of hers. She wonders why she was given away. She wonders if her mom loved her and if she knows Jesus. I have tried to answer her with the answers that any of you would say to comfort a child, but sometimes they seem shallow. I have told her that she should pray for her birth mother because Jesus knew the desires of her (Joanna's) heart and made a way for her to hear about Jesus, and He can do this with her mom as well. So far, this has pacified her, but there will be more questions and more heartaches. Sigh.

Ruthie was listening attentively to all of this, and I wondered what she was thinking. I have never brought up the subject of a birth mother because she tends to do better when she thinks things out and then brings up the subject in her own time. Finally, she asked me with incredulation if she too had been in someone's tummy. I said, "Of course you were, Ruthie. Everyone has to be in a mommy's tummy before they are born." I told her that everything is either born or hatched! She was unbelievably relieved. When all of her little friends have talked about being born, she has remainded quiet because she thought she had been `adopted' instead of 'born.' I was first amused, and then I was just sad. It makes me wonder how many other things my kids don't understand and think they missed out on.

I am so thankful they are mine, but it makes me realize that they only came to me because we live in a sinful, fallen world. How comforting to know that there are no orphans in heaven.

7 comments:

Michelle Riggs said...

Please thank your girls for Abby.

You have a beautiful family.

The Ferrill's said...

Yes, and no tears, no sin, no sickness either! Praise Jesus! And praise the Lord that your beautiful girls are no longer orphans. I love that song by Avalon "Orphans of God".
I am sure it will be tough when our adopted children start asking those hard questions. Tough to have the right answers, and tough on the heart. I love that Joanna asks about her birth mother knowing Jesus. I think it shows that she is growing closer to Him. Very precious.
I know God will give you just the words to say when these times happen...with Joanna being so intelligent, she will pave the way nicely for her sisters as they begin wondering. And then I can call you when mine start asking questions and you'll be a pro!
:)

Love you!

Sherri said...

My girls don't understand that they had a birth mother, either. They just think they were "waiting for me" to come get them in China. I've explained it to Olivia, but she didn't grasp it. So I guess she will get it when she's ready to get it.

I love "Orphans of God" too. I can't get through it without crying!

Mike and Barb said...

Wow, Linda, it's amazing to see just how far Joanna has come!!
What precious, but heartbreaking conversations! And, oh, sweet Ruthie, wondering about "where" she came from. It's such a fine line between what information to provide, and when to wait for their questions!
Love, Barb

Aimee said...

I know that this day will come one day for me too. Thank you for being open with us so that I can learn from you!!!

Sarah said...

Lily asked this same question. Their little minds are working all the time, aren't they?
Blessings,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hi
isotretinoin acne

The common side effects of this drugs are the following: mild acne flares, lips and mucous membranes dryness, rosacea, skin peeling, rash, myalgia and arthralgia.
[url=http://www.faceuptoit-youcan.com/]cheap accutane[/url]
Accutane - Eliminate acne now
Buy Accutane (Isotretinoin) at reliable online pharmacy and save extra money! No prescription! No hidden fees!
Accutane is a drug that is used for treating moderate to severe acne.
http://www.faceuptoit-youcan.com/ - buy accutane online
There have been reports that 30 % causes congenital malformation.