Ben turned five today, but I was not there. I knew his birthday was upcoming, but the last couple of days were busy, and I did not remember until I walked into church this morning and looked at the bulletin. To see "May 3rd" at the top of the page left me struggling. I went into the bathroom, wiped away the tears, and decided to make the best of it. Benjamin Joel turned 5 in the presence of our Lord and Saviour, and who am I to think that his birthday would be better with me than with Jesus? I do believe that the pain will always be in my heart, but with everything in me, I believe I will see him again. One of my questions is, will he be a baby still or will he age in years as he would have on earth? I am also very aware that if Ben had lived, I very likely would not have Abby, as they are basically the same age, and I would not have been looking to adopt so soon. Joanna may not have been in the picture either. The sovereigness of God is somehow at play in all of this, and I am thankful that He makes the big decisions in this life. I am also thankful that we had six hours with this precious little boy. I rejoice that we have a few pictures of him and that many of our good friends were able to be with us that evening to pray over him and to be our comfort. This, Bob and I will never forget.
In the next few days, I will post pictures of Joanna and her 10th birthday on April 30. Somehow it didn't seem right to mix a really loud, fun time with my quiet thoughts of Little Ben, so that will have to wait. Thank you to all of my neat blog friends. I have made some really sweet friendships over the past couple of years, and I appreciate all of you so much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
Praying for you today Linda.
Oh, Linda, I have tears in my eyes. I cannot imagine the sadness you must feel over the loss of your boys.
At the same time there is hope, and the thought of NOT having that is unbearable.
I love your family so much, even with as little as I know.
Holding you in my prayers today!
Barvb
Whoops, did not catch the V in time. You know how many times I sign my name with Barv??? I ususally catch it though, and get a chuckle out of it :-)
BarB
Oh sweet Linda....thank you for sharing your sadness with us. I can't explain it, but even though your post conveys your grief, I sense an inner joy in your words at the same time. That joy amidst suffering can only come from your friendship with Christ! May Jesus hold you tight just as I know He is holding your Ben...
Oh Linda, may you have the comfort of Jesus in all of your memories of your precious son.
We would love to get together with you again.
Blessings,
Sarah
The first time I took communion following my mother's death, I was SO THANKFUL for Jesus' death. It becomes so real and personal because it involves someone you love dearly.
I understand everything you said. One thing's for sure--Ben's life had a purpose. I'm sorry you didn't have him longer.
Post a Comment