Friday, August 24, 2007

TA Blessings, but CA...?

Our travel arrangement (TA) arrived yesterday (8/23), and we are very thankful. We now have China's permission to come get our daughter, and that is indeed a milestone. If I am not completely shouting with joy, it is because normally it would simply be a matter of scheduling the consulate appointment (CA) and getting ready to travel. As usual, our life is never quite that easy, and this is no exception. Due to Sam's wedding falling on the 22nd, we have to get a consultate appointment on the 17th, 18th, or 19th. I am reading on many of the yahoo groups that everything is booked through that point and that even the 24th is "iffy," so if we receive one of these dates, we will know that it is truly God's doing and none of our own efforts. We have been told that in reality, we should expect to travel on 10/26 with a CA of sometime in early November. If that is the case, it will be nine weeks to the day before Bob can leave. In the whole scope of things, nine weeks is not an eternity, but when you are dealing with the life of a little girl who has waited 8-1/2 years to have a home and whose friends have all been adopted and left the orphanage, maybe nine weeks IS an eternity!

In addition, when we first committed to Joanna, we asked verbal questions about the agency contract. Since Bob would be traveling alone, we asked if the sightseeing could be reduced and were told verbally that the Great Wall tour in Beijing could probably be eliminated. I feel very foolish for not getting this in some form of writing, but being a Christian agency I simply took them at their word, and we signed the contract. We are now being told that Bob does not have to go to Beijing, but he will still have to pay for the entire tour package. No exceptions. I had budgeted the full amount into the expenses, but all along I have been planning for some sort of a discount. This would be especially helpful now that we have a wedding rehersal dinner to pay for and my transcription work has been so slow, but I am ready to forego this if only we can get the early consulate date. Am I gripy or what?!!

On a more pleasant note, Ruthie started kindergarten at the Charter School yesterday and did very well. I felt very sad leaving her, and she looked as if she might cry, but when I picked her up afterwards, she was just bubbling over. She was so proud of herself and had had such a great first day! Just what a mom hopes and prays for!

2 comments:

Mike and Barb said...

Linda, it was so nice talking to you!
I just sent my friend an email - we'll be in touch! We will continue to pray!
Barb

The Ferrill's said...

Linda I got your blog from Barb and I will be praying for a CA, keep us posted! Joanna is so beautiful!
Laine Ferrill