Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of School


Today was Joanna's & Ruthie's first day of school, and I got it right this time! We showed up bright and early along with every other mom (and some dads) at the school. The kids were excited in the way that it always is at the beginning of a new year, and they all looked so fresh and clean. By the end of last school year, their uniforms were starting to get too small and some had stains on them, but every mom was trying to convince herself that those "high-water" pants weren't really too short - you know how that goes! Anyway, today was different, and all the kids looked very spiffy.


Ruthie knew what to expect and was so excited. Poor Joanna was facing another change in her life, and while she was looking forward to school again, she was also frightened. She is very brave and doesn't cry, but I don't think it was my imagination that her eyes looked a little watery. Her teacher seemed very nice, and I have heard good things about her, so I'm sure she will soon fit in quite nicely. Nonetheless, today was a new start, and once again this poor child has another adjustment in her young life. I am determined that this will be the last major upheaval for a long time, and I hope I can deliver on this promise.
FOOT NOTE: I just picked up two little girls with big smiles who talked ninety miles an hour and told me a bajillion things that happened today and how much they liked school. God answered this mama's prayers!

6 comments:

Sherri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike and Barb said...

Yeah for the big girls!! They look so cute in their uniforms!!
I'm glad everything went well!
Love, Barb

Unknown said...

Glad it went well. They look so cute! btw, for those marketing type comments, if you click on delete forever then it won't even show up at all.

The Ferrill's said...

What dolls! I'm so glad they had a great first day!
As we get closer to Candie Le, I am really wanting to talk more to you about adopting older children. Any words of wisdom you have, or things you wish you had done differently, or anything that you think would help, please share when you have a chance! I know we've emailed a bit about it last Feb., but now that we're getting closer I feel I need a refresher course!
Thanks Linda. You are a treasure to me.

Kay Bratt said...

Linda,

I am glad I looked at your blog today. Feeling a little down-- but to see the girls (and especially Ruthie) looking so happy, starting school, living normal lives has brought me back up. They are so beautiful.

Sarah said...

So glad that your girls had a good first day of school!
Blessings,
Sarah