Wow! It's been a month since I last posted, and the girls have been out of school for four weeks! I was worried that Joanna in particular would not know what to do with herself, but we haven't had a chance to be bored yet. This is a construction summer at the schools, so we will not go back to school until September 2nd. An opening came available at the charter school, so Joanna and Ruthie will be attending school together next year. Yeah! Now my dilemma - the charter school requires uniforms, and I am in desparate need of finding skinny, SKINNY pants for Joanna in size 7 girls in either navy blue or khaki color. I have spent much time scouring the internet, and while I have found a few slims in this size, I REALLY need the type that have the adjustable waistband. When I say this girl is skinny, I do mean SKINNY! They can also wear dresses and jumpers in these colors, which is fine with Ruthie, but Joanna is more of a pants girl. A friend of mine suggested buying smaller sizes and making them into capris, but remember it gets cold here in the winter! (Suggestions?)
June 8th was our sad day when we sent Nathan off to Camp Pendleton in San Diego for marine basic training. We went to church and then let him pick a restaurant for his "last meal." It was so hard dropping him off and knowing that our life with him will never again be the same. Even through some of the rougher adolescent times, I am so thankful that I had my boys, and it is sad to me that that era is gone. With 12 -1/2 years between Danny and Nathan, I have had at least one boy at home for 31 years. (I could get a little moony just putting all of this down in writing!)
Of course, Nathan did leave me something to remember him by... Let me explain something first - I was never very happy with the way the boys took care of their rooms, and I was constantly nagging Danny and Sam to pick up their things. By Sam's senior year, I decided it just wasn't worth the stress, and I waited until he left home and then cleaned things the way I had wanted them all along. During Nathan's younger years, he was a "stuffer." His room usually looked pretty good, but when you opened drawers, boxes, backpacks, etc., you would find anything and everything. Unbeknownst to me, this little pattern had continued. In addition, when Sam left for Korea, some (six boxes worth) of his clothing and other things got left behind in Nathan's walk-in closet. I dug into this closet mess a few days after Nathan left, and I still haven't come up for air. I alternate between missing Nathan terribly and thinking that I just might kill him if he were to suddenly show up! The good thing is that I will never need to buy another set of colored pencils from now to eternity. I found so many colored pencils that I could supply an entire classroom of children!!
My long term goal is to have the room packed and cleaned when Nathan comes home in early September. After that visit, we will start converting it into a girl room. I thought Joanna would be thrilled, but actually she is horrified to think of sleeping by herself. I am hopeful that when it is painted (yes, Bob, if you are reading this, it does need to be painted, and I do want to use color!) and has some nice pictures and a pretty quilt that she will be more excited. If not, I guess we at least have a very nice and CLEAN guest room!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
Oh, Linda *LOL* - your post made me laugh and cringe all at the same time...
I cannot even imagine what it's like to let your child go on into adulthood, but I can at least relate to the closet scenario... oh, my, bless your heart. Keep visualizing the relief you will feel when you're done, and how cute this room will look like (do you want me to come help you paint? I LOVE to paint...)when it's finished....
As far as the pants go... I would probably check Land's End or Gymboree, as I know they have slims, and drawstring. Anya is such a skinny little thing, too, and those drawstrings are a lifesaver. I'll let you know if I come across something you could use!
Love, Barb
PS: And YES, I do scrap book - or should I say, "used to" - I haven't for a couple years now for obvious reasons... :-))
You are so funny! We would be best friends if we lived closer!!!!!!!!
Okay.....I need to comment on a few things in this post....
1. My college roommate's brother went into the Marines while we were in college. She commented that the family couldn't get over how FAST he ate dinner when he got to come home for his first visit. Now, having teenage boys, I can't imagine anyone eating any faster than they already do, but be prepared.
2. I have the same closet issues. For the first few years of our marriage, we moved every couple of years, which forces you to clean things out. Now, we've been here for 16 years. I DREAD going through Cameron's closet when he leaves for school.
3. The colored pencils thing CRACKED ME UP!!!!!!!!!! I know exactly how you feel. We seem to have reproducing school supplies, too.
4. The skinny Chinese bottoms......Olivia, age 5, is wearing a size 18 month bathing suit bottom and a 3T top (I had to buy 2 sizes to fit her). She is IMPOSSIBLE to fit. We have to buy the kind of pants with the adjustable elastic, too. Maybe closer to school starting there will be more uniforms out there in the stores. I'll keep my eyes open here and I'll let you know. You could do capris and let her wear UGG boots in the winter?
I know how sad you must feel having no "boy smell" in the house after all these years. There's just something about those boys.....I still have Jonathan for another year before he graduates. *sniff**
I've missed hearing from you. I just haven't gotten back on track with posting since we got back from the beach.
Have a great day!
Sherri
Sherri
Oh I have some stuffers too. I can just picture that closet...and the colored pencils...my reproducing school supply is broken pencils with no erasers. They turn up EVERYWHERE! ;)
I know my time with my young'uns is flying by, and I imagine how bittersweet it is when they leave the nest...tears!
Okay, now post some pics! I wanna see those kiddos! ;)
Have you tried Old Navy for adjustable waistband pants?
Linda, I just received the Land's end school catalog in the mail, and they have lots of blue and tan pants, slim with adjustable waist. They were in the $30 range - not cheap, but if they fit, that would be a blessing too...
Barb
JCPenney carries IZOD brand school uniforms. They have adjustable waistbands and the slims are perfect for my little skinny minnie! I definitely recommend them and this week they were buy one get one for 88 cents!
Our problem is that Yana always wants new colored pencils because she runs out of brown (coloring horses). So, we've got an incredible amount of every color of pencils except brown!
We sure had fun with all of you at the park. Let us know when you'd like to do it again.
Blessings,
Sarah
Post a Comment