Nathan's graduation and party was last Sunday, and I really intended to post and let you know that everything went so well. The weather was lovely, and we saw so many friends (and even a few relatives) that we have not seen in quite some time. Aside from the fact that no one remembered to take pictures of the party (BIG tears over this!), it was just a wonderful day. Two days later Nathan was skateboarding (using something newer and much faster than a traditional skateboard - can't remember the name) when he took an awful spill. Bob and I had just fallen asleep when the phone rang, and Nathan's friend, "the other Nathan", called to say that Nathan was unconscious and we needed to get out there as soon as possible. The boys had also called 911, and I could hear the sirens heading in that direction. Bob jumped in the car, and I was left at home with the sleeping girls. The wait was unbearable, and I sat on the edge of the bed shivering with cold chills and praying. Bob called to say that the paramedics were taking Nathan to the hospital, but he had regained consciousness, and his vitals were good. His friends, who are all very nice young men, showed up with Nathan's car and plans to go to the hospital. "The other Nathan" hugged me, and they volunteered to stay with the girls for me, but I knew the girls would panic if they woke up to find me gone and three very big, very tall boys in my place. Nathan spent the night in the hospital for observation but was thankfully released the next morning with bruises and many scrapes but doing great.
THEN THURSDAY... Last day of school for Joanna and Ruthie. Ruthie was only going to school for a few hours for her kindergarten graduation, and keep in mind that both girls go to school on opposite ends of town. K graduation finished at about 11:30, and we started home. It was sprinkling, and the sky looked nasty, but I didn't think much more about it. On the way home, we had to stop at one of the side streets because a large number of elementary school children were running down the street and back to the school. They had apparently been planning to spend this last day at City Park, playing on the playground equipment and then having a picnic lunch, but the rain changed everything. We continued home just in time to get Ruthie's picture with her little cap and graduation certificate. We had just walked in the back door when the hail began - first the size of marbles, then ping pong balls, then golf ball size, then larger... Nathan and I watched from the front door window in horror as his back windshield was broken and then part of the rear fiberglass body. The hail seemed to last forever - I think it was about 15 minutes. The power went out, but our wall phone continued to work. Friends began calling to ask if we were okay, and I was surprised that there was so much interest and concern until I learned that a tornado had touched down and done an unknown amount of damage. It was a mile wide and categorized as an F3, and it began its devastating course just four blocks from our home. It destroyed and uprooted MANY trees in City Park, and would have undoubtedly killed or injured many children if they had been even ten minutes slower in their return to the school building. It had also passed over Ruthie's school and blew out some of the windows and destroyed many cars. Bob left work and went to Joanna's school, where the kids were under lock-down in the hallways. We were without power from Thursday noon until late Sunday afternoon, but a friend loaned us a generator and we did quite nicely. I certainly will not complain considering the devastation to many of our townsmen.
The pictures I am posting are mainly of City Park and the cemetary. No one was allowed into the residential area until Saturday evening, and it indeed looked like a war zone. (You may have seen pictures on the national new.) So far 100 homes have been condemed, and there is MUCH damage to many others. The cemetary was in the direct path, and whereas it was once shady and restful, it is now glaring in the sunlight. This may seem insignificant, but I will tell you that I drew great comfort in driving past it every day and knowing that Danny and Ben were at rest in such beauty. (Yes, I know their souls are with our Lord, but I am their mother.) Trees grow slow in the Rockies, and it will be years before the trees are large again.
We spent the afternoon on Sunday helping with the clean-up. It does your heart good to see SO many people who have come from nearby towns and even further to help. God was merciful, and there was only one fatality outside of town.
As with many of you, Bob and I also cried tears for little Maria Sue Chapman, music singer Steven Curtis Chapman's little girl, whose life ended so tragically last Wednesday night. We flew home from China with them when they were adopting Maria and we were adopting Ruthie. Such caring people, and we grieve to think of the agony that they will endure for many years and even forever. Please keep this family in your prayers, especially the 17 year old son who backed over his little sister.
This is too long of a post, and I apologize, but life has just kept us spinning lately!










7 comments:
Linda - I'm so glad you all are alright and your house didn't get damaged. Praise God that Nathan is alright as well! What a scary couple of days for you all.
Linda - I have been so out of the loop lately. I knew there had been a large tornado, but had no idea it was in your area, or even in Colorado.
I am glad you are all okay!! It has been a whirlwind of a week. I'll be in touch soon. jp
Wow, I'm so glad you're okay! I hadn't heard anything about a Tornado in your area!
I hope things will settle down for all of you now!
Love, Barb
Praise God that everyone in your family is safe!
Aubrey
Oh LINDA! What am emotional time you've had! Praise God you are all kept safe and your son was not injured any worse in his accident. Amidst all the chaos, I know you are thanking the Lord for His mercy and protection too! Your post was not too long at all. I am SO glad you are all okay.
Thank you Jesus!
Linda,
I just finished reading much of your blog and realized that we are neighbors! We live in Fort Collins. Your family is beautiful.
Blessings,
Sarah
Still thinking of you! How is Nathan? Have you been able to hear from him yet? Ian will be allowed two phone calls this summer and then we'll go see him for parent's weekend in August. I can't believe you have gone through this twice before! You are in my prayers each night.
Post a Comment