Thursday, October 4, 2007

Trying to Find "Normal" Again

Joanna & Bob - trying to keep balance.
Bob looks like he is holding a puppy by the scruff of the neck - lol!

There they go!


Today marks our two week anniversary of Joanna arriving in Colorado. Life hasn't returned to "normal" yet, but I'm not sure I really know what I expect normal to look like at this point! We have been VERY busy, and it seems as if everything that could happen has happened! Most nights I have crawled into bed around 11 PM and wondered how I would have the energy to get going the next morning. I remember this same feeling when Abby arrived, and it really did take about 2-3 months before life began to even out. I had told myself that I would be more prepared this time (yeah, right!).

Joanna is making a determined effort to fit in and to learn to like American food, and for that I am very thankful. She watches how I make everything, and the last few nights she has eaten very well. It seems as if she is much more willing to eat when she actually sees what is being put in her dinner. I guess I can understand that feeling! Bob says it wouldn't work that way if he was in China. - If he saw what was going into his dinner there, he probably would NOT be comforted! - lol! (Yes, yes, I know, we are picky Americans.) Joanna is also working diligently on her alphabet. Her aunt gave one of the girls a Leap Frog electronic alphabet board. Ruthie and Abby did not use it too much, but Joanna has latched onto it. She plays the letters over and over listening to the sounds they are supposed to make. Then she proudly brought it to me and said the alphabet along with it several times. She's catching on quickly.

Bob got out the old starter bike and fixed it up to teach her to ride. She hasn't mastered that yet, and we both agree that running alongside the bike holding her up is not as easy as it was with the boys. (Could being 50 versus 25 to 35 possibly have something to do with this? hmmm...) The pictures show a few of the efforts.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Linda - that picture of Joanna smiling on the bike is priceless! These kids will keep you young!

Unknown said...

Linda- let me know when you find normal again. I have forgotten where I left my normal as well. Hope is liking some American food - despite herself :) "I not like it" preceded spaghetti and meatballs. Three servings later she decided it wasn't so bad (course she wouldn't admit that).

Mike and Barb said...

That is a smile that says more than 1000 words!
It was so good talking to you today! Thank you for your call!
Try to take little moments for yourself too, because a little rest will go a long way!
Barb

SusanM said...

Linda, I wonder if training wheels would help? I gave up trying to teach Jasmine to ride on her own and she is happy as a clam with trainers (although very slow).
Great idea, LeapFrog--I will get that--Jasmine still doesn't know all of the alphabet after two months! I think you-all are doing a fantastic job. We "sort of normal" now--but it still feels somewhat like learning to walk with three legs instead of two.
--Susan