First, some background - Some of you may remember that when Joanna first joined our family, she was irritated by anything to do with God, maybe even angry. She did not really like to pray with us and would often find ways of being silly and disrespectful when the other girls were singing praise songs or telling us stories referencing Him. I was bothered by the 'hardness' she displayed, especially when you consider that she really had never even heard of the Christian God. Only when her English became better did I realize that she was hurt and angry because I had told her that God loved my little baby and had taken him to heaven when he died. Joanna knew that God had not taken the Chinese babies to heaven because she had seen their little bodies when they were discarded by the orphange. What a difficult conversation (actually MANY conversations) we had, trying to explain that God indeed took the souls of these little Chinese babies and that He loved them every bit as much as He loved our Ben. Once she understood this, her attitude towards God began to soften. She asked so many questions that at times I thought my brain
would pop!During the fall months, she not only asked questions, but she began to express a true interest in the person of Jesus. She told me once that she "liked Jesus," and one day, she asked me what would happen if "a girl's mom told her about Jesus, and she liked Him, but she really didn't know too much about Him yet. Would she still go to heaven?" I told her that Jesus would allow anyone to go to heaven as long as they had asked Him for forgiveness and prayed for Him to come into his/her life. This satisfied her, and I felt she was very close to making a decision.
About six weeks passed, and on the morning of Christmas Eve, I explained to the girls that we would be taking communion at church that night, but they were not to take it since it is reserved for those who have accepted Christ into their lives. They agreed, but then Joanna began to ask question about what it actually meant, and the four of us talked for about an hour. Joanna asked if it would be okay if she prayed to Jesus for forgiveness and His eternal life. I was so excited! We talked about how to do it, and I asked her to wait until her dad came home that afternoon. Ruthie pretty much assumed that she already had done this, and perhaps she had. (She definitely knows the answers to the questions!) Anyway, when Bob got home, he took both girls downstairs and began to explain everything to them once again. Abby joined them, and I called her upstairs to keep her from being a distraction. She began to cry because "Daddy was talking about Jesus, and she wanted to hear about it too." When Bob asked the older girls if they wanted to pray, Abby was the first to get down on her knees and join in. We were a bit hesitant, but Abby has the most tender little heart I have ever met, and neither of us felt comfortable telling her she was too young. The verse about "suffering the little children to come unto Me" kept playing over and over in our minds.
Life is sometimes difficult when you incorporate older children into your lifestyle and family, but I'll tell you - all the difficulties seem like nothing when you realize that God allowed you to be used in bringing these children into eternity. I am so thankful that I have been able to stay home and lead the girls in this direction, and I am thankful to the wonderful Sunday School teachers and children church instructors. Our wonderful church family has played major roles in showing Christ's love in a real way. I am in awe of God's goodness and blessings!




5 comments:
Oh Linda! This is wonderful news! I am rejoicing with you!
It is heartbreaking to think that these kids in the orphanages are exposed to death in this way. My heart hurts just thinking about it. I'm so happy for your wonderful Christmas gift!
Sherri
BAWLING IN ALABAMA...a very good bawl. It is no mistake that I hopped over here today. I've missed you! Our phone call seems like light years ago!
I am praising the Lord for these little Believers born again on Christmas Eve! Tears keep flowing! Am I spelling correctly 'cause I can't see the screen. Linda...you have really been given the best Christmas gift anyone could ask for. And when you wrote at the bottom this:
"Life is sometimes difficult when you incorporate older children into your lifestyle and family, but I'll tell you - all the difficulties seem like nothing when you realize that God allowed you to be used in bringing these children into eternity."
Oh what light, what hope, what joy! I sometimes don't see how in the world Candace will learn about Jesus when she still is clinging so much to her language...but this brings me hope today, Linda! THANK YOU! THank you Lord!
And I read your sweet post about your son on New Year's Eve. Your love for him shines through so bright...may God continue to hold you close. You are an inspiration to me!
It's SO good to be catching up with you!
Linda, this is the best News I have heard in a long time!! I bawled big, happy crocodile tears reading this. My prayers for Niu Niu have been answered, and I'm in awe of the plan God has for your little girl! All three of them, of course, but you know what I mean :-)
Love to all!
Barb
Linda,
What a privelege and honor that God has given us to teach our precious children about God's great love. Praising God that your little darlings are responding to His love by returning their own love to Him!
Blesssings,
Sarah
That is so awesome, Linda. I can't believe that the little girl I held in my arms is living such a life in the light--compared to where she was in the dark. God is GREAT!
Post a Comment