Wednesday, March 12, 2008

No Wonder Ruthie Can't Read!

Okay!... I think I'm finally up and running. Miss Ruthie is doing absolutely fantastic and was ready for action (or so she thought!) within a day of being home. I, on the other hand, am realizing that I do not bounce back like I did in my 30s or even the early to mid 40s! I felt like I was the one who had the nephrectomy. I was so tired that for the first three days back home, I just tried to maintain on an even keel. I still haven't caught up on what's been going on in the lives of all of you. Thank you for all your prayers and kind offers - it meant so much to Bob & me!

While helping Ruthie with her homework, I made a discovery that both embarrasses and makes me feel like an awful mom. We were doing some worksheets that involved counting money - pennies and nickels. They were just mimeographed copies (my sister says I date myself when I use that word!!), and so there was no color involved. I had a handful of pennies and nickels, and I asked Ruthie to match the faces and backs of the real coins with the printed ones. She absolutely could not do it. She is a smart little girl, and I was very surprised at this. I showed her the Abraham Lincoln face and the Thomas Jefferson face, but she could not seem to get the idea of how to match them. I chalked it up to a mental block, and we put them away for the time being. Later when we tried to do her little reading book, she kept putting the book closer and then trying to push it farther away. She was so frustrated and kept saying, "I just can't see it." She has NEVER done this before, so I wondered if this was just a ploy. Nonetheless, since I have transcribed for an ophthalmology group for almost 23 years, I set up an appointment for her, thinking it would be good to rule out a vision problem. You can't imagine my surprise when I learned that Ruthie is extremely farsighted and is about as blind as a bat, which is probably not the politically correct terminology to be using! She has always passed the school eye exams because they are geared for nearsighted children. I asked the doctor how we could have missed this, and he chalks it up to her being very good at accommodating. He used little pictures instead of letters for her eye exam, and Abby was hilarious. When Ruthie would say, she couldn't see the picture, Abby would say, "Ruthie, it's a cake!" or "Ruthie, it's a ..." At least, I know that Abby can see!

So many of you are in bifocals, and for most of you, your add is no higher than a +2.00. Ruthie is a +4.75 in her good eye and a +5.50 in her bad one. I told Ruthie that this is probably why she has been struggling to read. Her doctor looked at me and said that without a doubt this is why she has been struggling to read. She has a little pair of glasses on order, and I can't wait for her to get them. Unfortunately, being farsighted, they will be coke bottle lenses, and Dr. A says they will be such a difference that she will struggle for the first week or two until her brain pathways learn to rechannel. It makes me wonder if they are any other things I am missing.

5 comments:

lilscrapper said...

Sorry to hear about the glasses, though its great that you found out now and not years down the road! I'm also glad to hear that her surgery went well and she is close to back to being herself. We will continue to keep her in our prayers.

Thanks for calling this weekend to wish JOcelyn a happy birthday. She thought it was pretty cool that she got to talk to her "China friends"!

Mike and Barb said...

I'm so glad Ruthie recovered so quickly. And soon you will too :-)))
Alex has had glasses for far-sightedness since he was 2, and at time it was a shock for me too, and so not expected, either. Mike and I are both near-sighted! It will help her so much, though, and she'll get used to them quickly!
Oh, and the eye-doctor scenario sounds too familiar *LOL* - Elia does the same thing when he goes to the eye exam with Alex! Those little ones.....
Love,
Barb

Sherri said...

When Sarah got her glasses, she looked at the trees and said "the leaves are separate!" She had thought they were just one fuzzy blob on the tops of the trees!

And about the word mimeographed.....you brought me back to that smell that I loved of freshly mimeographed worksheets in school! They were slightly damp and smelled so good to me. When I became a teacher, I only had about a year with the mimeograph before we converted to straight xerox! And about half the people who read this will have no idea what I'm talking about!

Sherri

The Ferrill's said...

Oh I know what you're talking about Sherri! I LOVED that smell too! I can smell it right now and feel those wet papers!
Linda I'm so glad that things are getting back to normal after the surgery. Please keep us posted on when/if Ruthie needs more surgery.
SO glad she'll be able to see clearly now! I really need to get my two China babies eyes checked but we've been dealing with other needs first. I've GOT to get that done, though!
Blessings,
Laine

Unknown said...

Don't feel so bad - you are not alone. I found out, through the school eye exams, that two of my kids needed glasses at the same time when they were 9 and 7. Carly, who was 7 at the time, turned out to be extremely near-sighted, but she never complained of not being able to see or headaches. On her first day with glasses I asked her how school was. She said, "I never knew the board looked like that!" Yep, I was signing up for the Bad Mom of the Year award too. :) Glad you are all back on an even keel!