Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cat's in the Cradle - I Can Still Do It!

Joanna was messing around with a string trying to do some sort of designs, so I decided to impress her with my Jacob's Ladder string trick. When I couldn't remember one of the steps, it sent me to the internet, where I found a step by step version, only they called it Cat's in the Cradle. Regardless of the name, I managed to impress Joanna and Ruthie, AND I got to spend Friday night trying to teach them how to make it. Bob was working late, and Nathan was also at work, so we had a girls' night out with canned raviolis, applesauce in individual containers, and a loooooonnnnng session of Jacob's Ladder/Cat's In the Cradle. Joanna finally caught on, and Ruthie learned most of the steps. Thankfully, Abby was not too interested.

Now fast forward to Saturday morning. Bob had just got out of the shower when I heard the girls attacking him to ask were Moma was. They needed help with their strings and at 7 AM were ready to start. I cringed and pulled the bedcovers a little higher over my head. Thankfully he convinced them to let me sleep a few minutes longer, and by the time I got up, Joanna had figured it out for herself. Of course, she did make a point of showing me all 30+ times she made the design with the expectiation of me telling her what a good job she had done. I am now terrified of getting out my crochet hook. I know without a doubt where this will lead! I guess this will teach me to be a show-off!

2 comments:

Mike and Barb said...

Your post made me smile :-))
I like it, too, when I still can impress my kids with something... it won't be long and they will think they know EVERYTHING anyway! So we might as well enjoy it while it lasts!
I would say - "get out that crochet hook", What a wonderful thing to pass the time, and to see how you can MAKE something!
Love, Barb

The Ferrill's said...

The only string trick I know is Jacob's Ladder. No, wait a minute. I don't think I do remember it. I would love to remember all those string tricks, my girls would get a kick out of that!