Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Power of `I Love You'


Today started out as one of those mornings when you wish you could crawl back in bed and pull the covers up high. I walked into the younger girls' room and realized quickly that someone had a stomach bug, which led to an early morning bath and washing of all the bedcovers. I always appreciate my mom so much during these times! I fixed breakfast for the "healthy" kids, called my neighbor and arranged a ride to school for Joanna, and began the laundry and disinfecting of the bathroom - ugh! In the middle of all this, Joanna walked into the room and said, "Mom, I love you." I could hardly believe my ears!! This is the first time she has ever spoken those words. If I was a movie producer, suddenly the scene would change from dark and drab to springtime with butterflies and flowers. Those of you who have adopted older children may be able relate to these feelings. I have often told Joanna that I love her, but I have never pushed her to reply. After all, how much value is there in forcing someone to say something that they may or may not mean?


My girls continue to teach me so much and continually remind me that I too have been adopted. How much joy we must bring to the Father when we choose to say `I love you' through our own free will. I will write this date down because we have reached another milestone in constructing our family.
Note: The picture is one year old and Joanna had been with us only 4 months, but I have always liked this picture. Even then, you could look in her eyes and see a kind little heart. (Okay - I admit it - I also used an old photo because I have been very bad at taking any pictures recently. I will update the girls' photos soon~)

5 comments:

Sherri said...

Wow, Linda! That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you!

I do think Joanna's eyes look kind. I also think yours do, too.

Enjoy this milestone day!

sherri

sorry about the throw ups. I hope you got everything cleaned up. Don't you just hate the whole disinfecting process?

Mike and Barb said...

What a wonderful moment!! Even though it came in the midst of a very unpleasant task - maybe this triggered that realization for Joanna even more so?
Sending our love to you all!
Barb

The Ferrill's said...

Linda that is precious! I can really appreciate the beauty that moment brings...I cannot wait to hear those words from our girl too!
Hope everyone is staying well!
Love,
Laine

Kimmie said...

God is good.

I enjoyed the story your shared over at Linn's blog. It deeply touched my heart, thank you for your willingness to share.

bless you sweet mama!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Mike and Barb said...

Linda, it's me again. Yes, thank you for letting Linn share your story.
Love, Barb